Estate Sale Refashion

If you are a follower of Brassy Apple, you may have already seen this refashion a few weeks ago.  Today is my day to share it.

This little refashion that began at an estate sale.  I’m not usually a fan of estate sales seeing as how, in general, someone literally has to die in order to have one.  But this one caught my eye, and from the looks of it, the estate had belonged to an elderly couple who had passed away.  I got this little gem at the sale for a quarter.  After working with it, I believe it was homemade as it wasn’t made with a serger, and had no tags.  It was fun to reincarnate this old piece that someone else had already put some handiwork into.  Somewhere in heaven, a cute, old little lady is looking down and smiling.  At least I hope so…

Here’s what I started and finished with.

The first thing I needed was a little inspiration.  I showed my friend, Heidi, the dress and she suggested making a blouse.   I went with that idea and began pinning blouses I like.  

Here’s what I did during the operation, after washing it, of course.

1. Took in the seams to reduce bagginess in the sides and sleeves. I am pointing to the new seam above.
2. Very neatly cut off the cuffs. Just kidding.  I pretty much ripped them off.
3. To create the rolled sleeves, I rolled the sleeve up once, and then once more to hide the unfinished edge.  I then sewed  where the pink line indicates above.  That seam is underneath the elbow where it is not very noticeable.

4. To create the rounded hem, I drew the ideal line with a fabric pencil just on half of the front (white line).  I then folded it in half and cut along the traced line to make it perfectly even.  From here, I pinned, pressed, and them hemmed the new bottom.  I repeated this process for the back as well, except when I drew the line, I added a few inches of length first.

5. Finally, I created a pocket using a fragment from the original hem of the dress.
And, voila!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. new mascara and tory burch!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. So hard to decide. I would definitely pick the Sephora one and buy a lipstick. I can never find one that I like and they have a really great selection.

  4. OOOh definitely Nordstrom and perhaps snatch up some leather sweater goodie.

  5. Cabelas all the way!!! We can get fishing equipment and be prepped for next year.

  6. I love the way you refashioned this into a shirt,, I want to go buy a large shirt just to see if it could do it. Looks great.

  7. I would buy makeup and hunting clothes with the man gift card

  8. I would actually start my Christmas shopping with them!!

  9. I would love to start my Christmas shopping! I am in need of some NARS blush and would love to get my husband some Harley gear! Crossing my fingers! xo

  10. Seriously, you are amazing!! I can’t believe how cute that shirt is after you refashioned it!! :)

  11. Wow you are so talented! Love this shirt you made…I wish I knew how to sew! You look fab!
    Ashley | Raspberry Glow

  12. I would use the Nordstrom gc for some new Sperrys and I’d give the other to my husband for Xmas…he’d probably pick up some ammo or something with it!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *